header ads

THE FUTURE TENSE


Use the future tense for things that have not happened yet, but are going to happen. Use the verbs shall and will as helping verbs or auxiliary verbs to form the future tense.
For example:
I shall be eight years old next year.
They will finish the job next week.
The weatherman says it will rain this afternoon.
We shall play a game of chess after lunch.
You will be sick if you eat too much.
I hope it won’t rain tomorrow.
Sharon is ill. She will not be at the party.
You will enjoy visiting New Zealand.
Dad will be back for dinner.
He will make lots of friends at his new school.
Use shall or will with I and we.
Use will with you, he, she, it and they.
Here is a table to help you remember the rules:
Singular - Plural
First person: I shall - we shall, I will - we will
Second person: you will - you will
Third person: he will - they will, she will - they will, it will - they will
Learn these contractions:
I shall = I’ll we shall = we’ll
I will = I’ll we will = we’ll
you will = you’ll they will = they’ll
he will = he’ll
she will = she’ll shall not = shan’t
it will = it’ll will not = won’t
There are other ways of talking about future actions and happenings. You can use going to.
We are going to bake a cake this afternoon.
I’m sure Mom and Dad are going to be proud of me.
When are you going to clean your room?
They are going to wash the car for Dad.
It is going to get dark very soon.
I think I’m going to be sick.
You can also use the simple present tense to talk about things that have been arranged for the future.
The new supermarket opens tomorrow.
James moves to the second grade next year.
The new school year starts on Monday.
Next month I go to summer camp.
We have a history test next week.
The bus leaves in ten minutes.

Post a Comment

0 Comments