header ads

THE INTERJECTIONS


An interjection is a word that expresses a sudden, strong feeling such as surprise, pain, or pleasure.
For example:
-Wow! (used to show surprise and sometimes pleasure).
For example: Wow! Did you make that cake? It looks delicious!
-Look out! (said or shouted in order to tell someone that they are in danger)
For example: Look out! There's a car coming!
-Ssh!( used to tell someone to be quiet)
For example: Sh, you'll wake the baby!
-Ouch! (used to express sudden physical pain)
For example: Ouch, you're hurting me!
-Cheers! ( a friendly expression said just before you drink an alcoholic drink)
For example: Cheers! Your good health.
-Oh dear! (used in expressions of anger, disappointment, sadness, or surprise)
For example: Oh dear! I've lost my keys again.
-Happy Birthday! (used in greetings for special occasions) full of enjoyment and pleasure)
For example: Happy Birthday!, Happy Anniversary! , Happy New Year!
-Goodness! (used to express any strong emotion, especially surprise)
For example:
(My) goodness! how many more times do I have to tell you! Goodness gracious (me), what a terrible thought!
-Oh! (used to express different emotions, such as surprise, disappointment, and pleasure, often as a reaction to something someone has said)
For example:
He's been married three times." "Oh, really? I didn't know that!" "I'm afraid I can't come to the party." " Oh, that's a shame." Is that for me? Oh, you're so kind! "I'm sorry I forgot to ring you." "Oh, don't worry."
-Good! (very satisfactory, enjoyable, pleasant, or interesting)
For example: Good! You’ve done a good deed.
-Oh no!/ Oh dear! (used with other expressions of disappointment, sadness, anger)
For example:
Oh dear, what a mess!
Oh no, I've left my umbrella behind!
-Hooray!, Hurrah! or Hurray! (used to express excitement, pleasure, or approval)
For example:
You won? Hurray!
Hurray! It's time to go home.
-Thanks! (Thank you.)
For example: I’ve done everything for you. – Thanks!
-Help! (shouted by a person who is asking for someone to come and save them from a dangerous situation)
For example: Help! I’ve drown.
-Good luck! (To wish somebody when they are going to do something such as taking the exam, or to travel to somewhere)
For example: You’ve got to take the exams tomorrow. Good luck!
-Well done! (used as a way of praising someone and saying that you are pleased about and approve of something they have done)
For example: "I passed my exam." "Well done!"
-Gosh! (exclamation informal old-fashioned     used to express surprise or strength of feeling)
For example: Gosh, I didn't expect to see you here!
-Hey! (used as a way of attracting someone's attention, sometimes in a way that is not very polite)
For example: Hey! What are you doing with my car?
Hey, are you guys coming to Angela's party?
Merry Christmas! (said at Christmas to wish people a pleasant Christmas period)
For example: Hello, Phoebe. Merry Christmas!
The shop assistant wished me a merry Christmas.
Happy New Year! (Hello, everybody. Happy New Year!
For example: The shop assistant wished me a Happy New Year!
NOTE:
Notice that an exclamation point (!) is often used after interjections.

Post a Comment

0 Comments