header ads

THE STATIVE VERBS


Some English verbs, which we call state, non-continuous or stative verbs, aren't used in the continuous tenses (like the present continuous, or the future continuous). These verbs often describe states that last for some time. Here is a list of some common ones:
LIST OF STATIVE VERBS
like
know
belong
love
realise / realize
fit
hate
suppose
contain
want
mean
consist
need
understand
seem
prefer
believe
depend
agree
remember
matter
mind
recognise/recognize
see
own
appear
look (=seem)
sound
taste
smell
hear
astonish
deny
disagree
please
impress
satisfy
promise
surprise
doubt
think (=have an opinion)
feel (=have an opinion)
wish
imagine
concern
dislike
be
have
deserve
involve
include
lack
measure (=have length)
possess
owe
weigh (=have weight)

A verb which isn't stative is called a dynamic verb, and is usually an action.
SOME VERBS CAN BE BOTH STATIVE AND DYNAMIC:
BE:
Be is usually a stative verb, but when it is used in the continuous it means “behaving” or “acting”
You are stupid = It's part of your personality
You are being stupid = Only now, not usually
THINK:
think (stative) = have an opinion
I think that coffee is great
think (dynamic) = consider, have in my head
What are you thinking about? I'm thinking about my next holiday
HAVE:
have (stative) = own
I have a car
have (dynamic) = part of an expression
I'm having a party / a picnic / a bath / a good time / a break
SEE:
see (stative) = see with your eyes / understand
I see what you mean
I see her now, she's just coming along the road
see (dynamic) = meet / have a relationship with
I've been seeing my boyfriend for three years
I'm seeing Robert tomorrow
TASTE:
taste (stative) = has a certain taste
This soup tastes great
The coffee tastes really bitter
taste (dynamic) = the action of tasting
The chef is tasting the soup
The “taste” is the same as other similar verbs such as “smell”


Post a Comment

0 Comments