header ads

THE GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES


We use gerunds (verb + ing):
1: After certain verbs 
- I enjoy singing.
2: After prepositions
- I drank a cup of coffee before leaving
3: As the subject or object of a sentence
Swimming is good exercise
We use 'to' + infinitive:
1: After certain verbs 
- We decided to leave
2: After many adjectives
- It's difficult to get up early
- I came to London to study English
We use the bare infinitive (the infinitive without 'to'):
1: After modal verbs 
- I can meet you at six o'clock
2: After 'let', 'make' and (sometimes) 'help'
- The teacher let us leave early
3: After some verbs of perception (see, watch, hear, notice, feel, sense)
- I watched her walk away
4: After expressions with 'why'
- Why go out the night before an exam?

Post a Comment

0 Comments