header ads

GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES WITH VERBS PART 1


Here are some of the most common verbs that are usually followed by the gerund.
Enjoy: I enjoyed living in France.
Fancy: I fancy seeing a film tonight.
Discuss: We discussed going on holiday together.
Dislike: I dislike waiting for buses.
Finish: We've finished preparing for the meeting.
Mind: I don't mind coming early.
Suggest: He suggested staying at the Grand Hotel.
Recommend: They recommended meeting earlier.
Keep: He kept working, although he felt ill.
Avoid: She avoided talking to her boss.
And here are some common verbs followed by 'to' and the infinitive.
Agree: She agreed to give a presentation at the meeting.
Ask*: I asked to leave early / I asked him to leave early.
Decide: We decided to go out for dinner.
Help*: He helped to clean the kitchen / he helped his flatmate to clean the kitchen.
Plan: She plans to buy a new flat next year.
Hope: I hope to pass the exam.
Learn: They are learning to sing.
Want*: I want to come to the party / I want him to come to the party.
Would like*: I would like to see her tonight / I would like you to see her tonight.
Promise: We promised not to be late.
*We can use an object before the infinitive with these verbs.
(Note that 'help' can also be followed by the infinitive without 'to' with no difference in meaning: 'I helped to carry it' = 'I helped carry it'.)

Post a Comment

0 Comments